My annual best of music list — which this year will hopefully not be among my only posts of the year.
1. Sound & Color — Alabama Shakes
No sophomore slump here.
2. Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit — Courtney Barnett
Most anticipated album of the year (thanks, Bob Boilen!). Best album title of the year. Heck of a live show (we saw her twice, listened from outside when we couldn’t get into a SXSW show, and strongly considered going to see her open for Blur in LA.)
3. Eponymous — Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats
This thing is just so damn fun on so many levels.
4. Here Come The Girls — The London Souls
2nd best discovery of the year thanks to ACL.
5. Slow Gum — Fraser. A Gorman
Best discovery of the year thanks to Courtney Barnett at SXSW.
6. Star Wars — Wilco
Surprise, it’s good.
7. Sweet Tennessee Honey — Smooth Hound Smith
This record grows on me more and more with each listen. Every time I forget about it, I fall in love with it again.
1. To Fill My Heart With Love Until It Almost Breaks My Heart — Spirit Family Reunion
2. Book of Love — Fraser A. Gorman
3. Dark Bird Is Home — The Tallest Man on Earth
4. Jazz x10 — Benji Hughes
5. Ghost Ship — Blur
1. Courtney Barnett w/ Fraser A. Gorman @ SXSW
2. Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats w/ Caroline Rose @ the Historic Scoot Inn
3. The Record Company @ Sam’s Burger Joint
4. Smooth Hound Smith @ Stay Gold
Tags: Of The Year